“The Council of Majors supports and initiates programs of interest to majors.” HAPP COM is now PHCOM to fit with the major’s change to Public Health!
Since its inception in 1978, the Council of Majors has sought to provide students with an opportunity to meet, share information, and discuss mutual interests. In addition, the group is a resource of students seeking information regarding post-graduation goals, including career networking and guidance with graduate school programs. By sponsoring events to benefit both the campus and local community, the Council of Majors is also in the service of others. The Council of Majors welcomes every Public Health major to participate.
Why Join the Council of Majors?
People join the Council of Majors because they realize the need to go above and beyond what is simply required to graduate. Healthcare is a complex institution, and in order to understand and survive within it, one must diligently seek up-to-date information about the field. The Council tries to bring pertinent information from “real world” organizations and events into their meetings and programming in hopes that students will understand how dynamic healthcare is. Many employers and graduate schools want to know that candidates are doing more than the minimal. The Council of Majors is one such opportunity to go above and beyond.
You can nominate yourself, a friend, a stranger, etc. as long as they are a Public Health major. Once nominated, information will be sent to the nominee about the next step.
- Plan meeting agendas (in advance)
- Run meetings (usually weekly)
- Delegate tasks to board members
- Get input from board members as well as HAPPCOM members
- Communicate with adviser, guest speakers, partnering orgs, etc.
- Make sure all campus/SGA org rules and guidelines are followed
- Schedule events
- Reserve room/space as needed
- Assist president with responsibilities listed above
- Fill in for president at meetings/events if president cannot attend
- Delegate tasks and/pr partner with board members to accomplish various project
- Communicate with President, board members, HAPPCOM members, etc.
- Take meeting minutes
- Send out minutes in weekly email as well as posting them in the myUMBC group
- Various email communication as needed
- Take care of any financial matters
- Attend SGA Treasurer training (1-2 hours in beginning of Fall semester)
- Getting funding through SGA using Request for Expenditure of SGA Funds (RESGAF) form
- Attend SGA Finance board hearing as needed to get funding
- Come up with fundraising ideas/strategies
- Take care of any advertising/spreading information between the organization and the UMBC community/public (PR is like the face of HAPPCOM- keep a positive and connected image to the community)
- Email communication as needed to guest speakers, etc.
- myUMBC group
- Facebook group
Positions are not limited to the responsibilities listed above. All board members assist with various tasks as needed, like tasks that may not necessarily fit into their description. Giving input is one of the most important tasks for all board members to take part in. PHCOM cannot run without successful communication!
Other ways to find Public Health Council of Majors: